Friday, February 25, 2011

Thoughts on a Sad Moment in the YA Book World

So, I didn't personally know LK Madigan I never had personal contact with her, but her story touched my heart.

When I first read about THE MERMAID'S MIRROR I thought it sounded like a lovely book and I really wanted to read it. But that's about as far as it went, as you all know I have tons of books on my to read list, and I am just NOT a fast reader.

Then, through other author friends on Facebook, I was directed to her very heart wrenching post about her fight with cancer. You can read it HERE. Her story touched me deeply. My father died from lymphoma just over a year and a half ago, so cancer is very real to me.

Then I was lucky enough to win a book giveaway and received her two published works, FLASH BURNOUT and THE MERMAID'S MIRROR in the mail this last week. I am so thrilled to have them and excited to read them. I am glad that she was able to leave some part of her behind.

What I do know about LK Madigan is she was a fighter. She fought this for a long time and her death is a huge loss to the YA community. As a lover of books, especially YA I am saddened for her family and friends and associates. And I am especially sad for the stories she never got to tell.

Let's appreciate a little bit more each day those stories that we do get to read, those books that are written. Because our time here is precious.

0 comments: