Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: Mudville by Kurtis Scaletta


MUDVILLE
by Kurtis Scaletta
Hardcover, 272 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by Alfred A. Knopf

Placement in the Pile: Reaching New Heights

Summary:

Welcome to Moundville, where it’s been raining for longer than Roy McGuire has been alive. Most people say the town is cursed—right in the middle of their big baseball game against rival town Sinister Bend, black clouds crept across the sky and it started to rain. That was 22 years ago . . . and it’s still pouring.

Baseball camp is over, and Roy knows he’s in for a dreary, soggy summer. But when he returns home, he finds a foster kid named Sturgis sprawled out on his couch. As if this isn’t weird enough, just a few days after Sturgis’s arrival, the sun comes out. No one can explain why the rain has finally stopped, but as far as Roy’s concerned, it’s time to play some baseball. It’s time to get a Moundville team together and finish what was started 22 years ago. It’s time for a rematch.

Review:
This was our book club book pick this month, and I am so glad I finally had a chance to read it! This was one that I wanted to read way back when I started blogging, but never got around to it.

Not my typical fall in love with book, but this book is WELL worth reading. I laughed a lot. This is a boy book that will get boys reading. The characters in the book are so genuinely BOY! That I think was my favorite part. The characters were so real.

I can best describe this book as Holes meets The Sandlot.

I am very passionate about getting boys to read. If you have a 10-14 year old boy this is a book for them! I can't see how they wouldn't like it!

1 comments:

Randi said...

this was a good one!