Sunday, October 30, 2011

NaNoWriMo

As if I could be slacking on this blog even more...I am planning on doing NaNoWriMo!

I am really excited about this. You may not know this about me, but I dabble at writing. I've always wanted to write a novel.

When I was a little girl I was always making up stories. One of the ones I remember was about having a pet dolphin that I wrote in a weekend of church conference meetings that my family listened to. When I was about 11 I wanted to be the youngest author ever, then found out that I was already too old, and literally cried. In High School my hopes were crushed when I wrote this crazy creative story for our creative writing project...and got a C.

But I know I'm not a bad writer today. I just lack the consistency and the focus to edit as I should. I attempted to write my first novel a few years ago. A story that is very near and dear to my heart still, but needs a lot of editing. And I got caught up in the editing and frustrated with that process and never finished writing it.

So, my goal with NaNoWriMo is to write my new idea. Let it be the boss. And not share it or take any editing notes until it's done.

For those of you who are not familiar with NaNoWriMo. It is National Novel Writing Month, where authors, novice and professional all over the world spend a whole month focusing on writing a new project. The goal. JUST WRITE! And try to crank out 50,000 words to "win" (everyone who cranks out that many wins).

So you reader types, what do you think of this crazy idea? Want to join me? Check out the link to my NaNo profile (I'll post the button on the sidebar shortly) and link to me. We can keep dibs on each other's progress and send words of encouragement.

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Good luck! I love NaNo. I first did it last year, and I can't wait to do it again this year. I wasn't planning on doing it, since I wanted to revise my novel from last year, but I hate that novel right now, so I'm going to abandon it for a while and work on something new.

I don't seem to be able to add you as a buddy on NaNo for some reason, but if you want to add me, my username is Stinkfist.