Friday, June 25, 2010

Reviews pf Picture Books

Life has been very crazy, trying to work on my own writing, do all sorts of fun summer things, I am actually missing reading, a lot. But what I CAN always make time for is reading picture books to my little girl. Here is what I think of these ones!

WESLANDIA
by Paul Fleischman
Illustrated by Kevin Hawkes (the signature I got)
Published August 1, 2002 (first published 1999)
Paperback, 40 pages

Placement in the Pile: Reaching New Heights

Summary:
WESLANDIA honors the misfits—and the creators—among us.

Enter the witty, intriguing world of Weslandia! Now that school is over, Wesley needs a summer project. He’s learned that each civilization needs a staple food crop, so he decides to sow a garden and start his own - civilization, that is. He turns over a plot of earth, and plants begin to grow. They soon tower above him and bear a curious-looking fruit. As Wesley experiments, he finds that the plant will provide food, clothing, shelter, and even recreation. It isn’t long before his neighbors and classmates develop more than an idle curiosity about Wesley - and exactly how he is spending his summer vacation.

Review:
I always loved this book. I was introduced to it while I was doing my student teaching for my Elementary Education degree. It was fun, the illustrations were beautiful and it really encouraged kids to use their imaginations, and taught them that it was okay to be different. The outsider kid does something really cool - eventhough it isn't normal, and becomes the coolest kid on the block!

Reading it again the narrative was a bit choppy, but I still love this one. My daughter was intrigued I think by the illustrations more than the text though.



MY LITTLE SISTER ATE ONE HARE
by Bill Grossman
Illustrated by Kevin Hawkes (signature)
Published September 29th 1998 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1996)
Paperback, 32 pages

Placement in the Pile: Between Reaching New Heights and Top Picks

Summary:
For young readers who love to giggle, his uproarious counting book recounts the lively tale of little sister eats everything from one hare to nine lizards, "including their heads and gizzards!"


Review: So so cute. A great counting book with great rhythm and rhyme. Along the lines of "I Swallowed a Fly" type story. My daughter thought it was really really cute, but of the three books I bought it wasn't her favorite at the time I read it to her. Which is why I placed it a bit lower....for her reaction not mine. I think she just needs to be a little older so she can pay attention to the hilarious pictures and the story they tell more. Super cute counting book though!


BEDTIME AT THE SWAMP
by Kristyn Crow (signature)
Illustrated by Macky Pamintuan
Published August 1st 2008 by HarperCollins
Hardcover, 32 Pages

Placement in the Pile: Top Picks!

Summary:

Splish splash
rumba-rumba
bim bam boom!

It's bedtime at the swamp—except somebody's not ready. Somebody's still splashing in the water and the mud.

Is there a monster on the loose?

Kristyn Crow has taken every child's worst nightmare and transformed it into a frolic through swampland. With funny illustrations and a catchy refrain, this story won't scare little monster too much before bedtime.

Phew! That was a lot! But I wanted to share it with you! I love supporting authors and buying books, I only wish I had the time to read more and money to buy more!

Review: So fabulous in every way. My daughter ADORES this book. Crow writes with a great rhythm that makes you want to clap your hands and is reminiscant of something you would sing around a campfire. My little one likes to march around our front room to the "Splish, Splash" chorus type sections.

Only bad part was the "monster" looks a lot like an alligator to a two year old, they should have made him a different color or added more funny spikes or spots or something.

0 comments: