Monday, August 30, 2010

Review PARANORMALCY by Kiersten White


PARANORMALCY
by Kiersten White
To Be Published August 31st 2010 by HarperTeen (That's like tomorrow guys!)
Hardcover, 352 pages

Placement in the Pile: Reaching New Heights (inching so close to top picks!)

Summary: (From GoodReads)
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Review:
Kiersten White has created such a cool little universe with her debut novel Paranormalcy. I think that it will really resonate with teenagers of all types. Really if you love some of those big name paranormal books, you will love this one. If you don't love those big name paranormal books....you will still love this one.

White's humor just jumps from every page. Evie is a teenage girl through and through. She has heart, spirit, and in the end this book is about her journey finding herself - while working for an international paranormal containment agency, her best friend is a mermaid, she has never remembered living in the normal human world, and having special powers of her own. Not complicated at all.

And the male protags, oh BLEEP they are hot! I am kind of in love with Lend. And Reth honestly creeps me out, but he is so mysterious I desperately want to know more about him!

I do admit there were some aspects of the book that made me not head over heels love it. Which is why I gave it my "Reaching New Heights" rating. I WANTED to give it a "Top Picks" rating very badly. I was very tempted. But some of the plot and some of the pacing just wasn't quite right to me. But seriously I am dying to read the next book! So it is a VERY worthy read.

So hit your bookstores tomorrow people and support this awesome debut novel!

*Note:
Let's not forget to spread the word about our blog! Or if you are here for the first time hi! Be sure to follow us. Cause if we get 150 followers by Wed. our re-launch, blogiversary, and 100 followers giveaways will include B&N giftcards to make them even MORE awesome!

4 comments:

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

OK--this one's definitely going in my Goodreads queue! :)

Sara B. Larson said...

I loved this book! Thanks for the review.

Sara said...

Sounds intriguing. I will have to check it out! Thanks!

Jacob said...

You got me interested. I think I will like it, and hope it's not toooo romantic! ;)