Thursday, December 3, 2009

Review THE VAN ALEN LEGACY by Melissa de la Cruz



The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods #4)

by,

Melissa de la Cruz

Published:
October 6th 2009 by Hyperion Book CH
Hardcover, 369 pages

Placement in Pile:

Middle of the Stack, inching towards Reaching New Heights

Summary:

With the stunning revelation surrounding Bliss's true identity comes the growing threat of the sinister Silver Bloods. Once left to live the glamorous life in New York City, the Blue Bloods now find themselves in an epic battle for survival. Not to worry, love is still in the air for the young vampires of the Upper East Side. Or is it? Jack and Schuyler are over. Oliver's brokenhearted. And only the cunning Mimi seems to be happily engaged. Young, fanged, and fabulous, Melissa de la Cruz's vampires unite in this highly anticipated fourth installment of the Blue Bloods series.

Review:

Grrr, grrrrr, really, really, grr. Was this series not originally proclaimed to be a 3 book series? Or was I misled back in the day when I first read book 1 & 2 thinking the 3rd one (that was coming out in a few months at the time) was going to be the last one. So why did I just read the 4th one and it STILL DIDN'T END?! It was good, and I liked some of what happened at the "end" (but not all). BUT - it didn't really end, which bugged me. I'm fine if I know a series is supposed to be a five or six or seven book series - if I know that up front. I just don't understand how a 3 book series ends up being 5 (or more...)??? But it was good, and worth reading, and I would really like to know how this all ends...

As for the book itself, it's typical Blue Bloods - lots of fangs, lots of fashion, lots of fierce fighting (how's that for alliteration?) and lots of false leads. (ha ha, got one more in!) It's a great series, and a very interesting "take" on vampires in a genre that is bursting at the seams. As I said, I am very curious to see how it all ends. (And hoping that it will, indeed, end. Soon. Like the next book. Does anyone know how many more there are? For real?) The characters are great, and are always throwing the reader for loops. I love getting to know them better, and to see how the romance between Schuyler, Jack, and Oliver plays out. (As well as some other characters, too) There are so many questions - some get answered, but then even more questions pop up. It is face-paced and intense, and will leave you wanting the next book!

If you like snarky humor, high society, an interesting plot, and hot vamps, this is a great series for you.

This was an ARC we received to review. I received no monetary compensation to review this book.

1 comments:

Aubrey said...

Thanks for the review Guinevere! I do always love a good vampire story!

I agree it is frustrating when you think the end is coming but it doesn't. But I also realize sometimes authors sell books with an intended series number in their head and that has to get extended (ex. the Eragon Series did that). But it is hard when it is like twice as much as intended rather than splitting the last book into two books.

I guess if you like the stories and characters enough its okay...