Thursday, October 7, 2010

Review SPLURCH ACADEMY FOR DISRUPTIVE BOYS: THE RAT BRAIN FIASCO by Julie Berry and Sally Gardner


SPLURCH ACADEMY FOR DISRUPTIVE BOYS: THE RAT BRAIN FIASCO
By Julie Berry and illustrated by Sally Gardner
Published August 19th 2010 by Grosset & Dunlap
Paperback, 208 pages
Source: Author

Placement in the Pile: Reaching New Heights

Summary:
When Cody Mack is called to the principal's office yet again, he finds something far worse than detention awaiting him: Splurch Academy, a frightfully sinister boarding school for disobedient children run by a group of monstrous teachers. One where the headmaster has a sinister plan for how to make the boys behave.

Review:
This was the first MG designed to attract boys to reading that I have read for a long time. I loved Julie's first YA novel THE AMARANTH ENCHANTMENT, and I love Julie. She is an amazing person! So I was worried about reviewing this one because I wanted Julie to know how much I love her, but still be honest about the book -- especially since this isn't the age range I am usually attracted to.

However, I had nothing to fear!

Julie Berry with the amazing illustrations of her sister Sally Gardner have created a classic series for boys. One they will connect to, love and crave for more. The illustrations are not just a superfluous part of the book to attract reluctant readers, they are a tool for the telling the narrative, something that boys and girls will love.

Funny, witty, a bit twisted in all the right ways, SPLURCH ACADEMY FOR DISRUPTIVE BOYS will keep you and your kids wanting more! (And thankfully there is more!) And it is a perfect read for October!

1 comments:

Sara B. Larson said...

Sounds like a great read, especially for my boys! Thanks for the review. :)