Friday, September 4, 2009

Review SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater


SHIVER
by Maggie Stiefvater
Published: August 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press
Hardcover, 392 pages

PLACEMENT IN THE PILE: Reaching New Heights

ABOUT:
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. (from Goodreads)


REVIEW: (By SaraJ!)
I really liked this book a lot. The writing is beautiful, hauntingly so at times, and very emotional. The love story is moving and believable. It is an interesting take on the werewolf and I'm interested to hear the discussion at my book club. I was slightly disgruntled by the ending - because I wanted more! :-) As a mother, I found some of the situations/scenes described as somewhat disturbing and emotional. But overall, it was definitely worth the read. I’ve heard people say if you like Twilight, you’ll like it – I think that is true to some degree, but not completely. This has a much more melancholy feel to it than Twilight.

I know many readers out there are moms and want to know the content of books (to know whether they want to let their kids read it or not), so here’s my way of “helping”. I like to give books a rating, as if they were a movie. SHIVER would be PG-13 for violence, disturbing images/situations, language and sexual content.

The sequel, LINGER, will be published in 2010, also by Scholastic.

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Sounds like something I would love! Now I want to read it even more. Thanks for the review Sara!

Torri said...

It sounds like a good book. I'll have to put it on my list of to-reads. Thanks