Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Review BREAK by Hannah Moskowitz

Break
by Hannah Moskowitz

Published August 25th, 2009 by Simon Pulse
Paperback, 256 pages

Placement in the Pile
Middle of the Stack

Summary
Jonah is on a mission to break every bone in his body. Everyone knows that broken bones grow back stronger than they were before. And Jonah wants to be stronger--needs to be stronger--because everything around him is falling apart. Breaking, and then healing, is Jonah's only way to cope with the stresses of home, girls, and the world on his shoulders.
This is the story of his self-destructive spiral, his rock-bottom movement, and how he finally learns to accept help and find true strength through recovery.

Review
First off, WT...you know what comes next, right? That's the best way to describe this book. If you can get past the numerous F-bombs and swear words all packed into the first chapter, you might get hooked on the bizarre, yet oddly intriguing, storyline. I'm not going to lie, Break is a page turner.

It's like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion right before your eyes. Jonah's actions are frightening, gut wrenching and down-right disturbing. And at 256 pages, Break is a quick, easy read.

Moskowitz nailed character voice for each of her main characters and supporting characters. But I'm not convinced by her overall story arch. Frankly, it lacked an overall story arch that tied everything together. The end fell flat and many of the subplot questions were left unanswered in the end.

Would I read Break again? No . . . so I guess that means there's no way this book would make it to my "Do Not Touch" shelf.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Hmm . . . only if that friend uses the F-bomb as a staple in every day dialogue.

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Welcome again Erin! And thanks for the review!

One thing that bothers me a lot is over-use of explicit language in a book. It seems so unecissary and it just bothers me.

If you can't think of any other way to express your character's emotions than to have them cuss, then I worry that you aren't a very creative writer.

Emma (the Expat) said...

I'm dying to read this book, and I have no problem with swearing so maybe it's for me ;)