Friday, January 29, 2010

Review FAIRY TALE by Cyn Balog


FAIRY TALE
by,
Cyn Balog

Details:
Published June 23rd 2009 by Delacorte
Hardcover, 256 pages

Placement in Pile:

Middle of the Stack

Summary:

Morgan Sparks and Cam Browne are a match made in heaven. They've been best friends since birth, they tell each other everything, and oh yeah- they're totally hot for each other.

But a week before their joint Sweet Sixteen bash, everything changes. Cam's awkward cousin Pip comes to stay, and Morgan is stunned when her formerly perfect boyfriend seems to be drifting away.

When Morgan demands answers, she's shocked to discover the source of Cam's distance isn't another girl- it's another world. Pip claims that Cam is a fairy. No, seriously. A fairy. And now his people want Cam to return to their world and take his rightful place as Fairy King.

Determined to keep Cam with her, Morgan plots to fool the fairies. But as Cam continues to change, she has to decide once and for all if he really is her destiny, and if their “perfect” love can weather an uncertain future.

Witty, original and unexpectedly touching, FAIRY TALE will captivate fans of TWILIGHT and WICKED LOVELY.

Review:

I know this one came out a while ago, but it's been on my list for a long time and I finally got a copy from the library to read it.

This was an entertaining read, but one that didn't really stand out to me. Morgan's voice is fun and engaging, and the plotline is interesting, but it didn't grab my attention in a way that I "just couldn't put it down." I kept reading to find out what happened, but I felt like skimming parts to get to the end.

If you love the whole fairy-craze, and want some more fairy books, this one is worth reading, but not one of my faves.

It does have some language and bit of mature content, but nothing too horrible. Probably a PG13 rating.

6 comments:

Eli said...

I thought this was a cute read, and I agree with your review. :)

Aubrey said...

Great review Guin! I had reviewed this one a long time ago over at the old blog and did an interview with Cyn too. (here's the link if you want it http://myfavoriteauthor.blogspot.com/search/label/Cyn%20Balog )

I agreed with you though, it was a fun read, but not completely enthralling.

i'm erin. said...

I read this one in the summer. So bizarre. I have to say, I didn't love the "love" element. And the whole shrinking grody boy thing...eww.

Unknown said...

Here via the Saturday Network :-)

I'm not a fan of Twilight or Wicked Lovely, or a romance fan in general, so this probably isn't a book I'll be picking up, but just from the summary I find it interesting that the boy is the fairy - in books about fairies it's usually a girl!

Unknown said...

I am afraid - I just got this one recently, but being a non fairy fan - I worry LOL - hopefully someday I will pick it up, but thinking it might be a while. I liked your review!

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Thank you for participating in The Saturday Network!
And great review! I've been wanting to read Fairy Tale for a while too, though I'm sort of sad you didn't find it that great. Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry it, so I guess I'll have to think a bit more before buying it. Thanks! :D