What I learned:
(This picture is Aprilynne fighting her way to the top! It was the funniest, and only non-blurry shot I got of her while she was talking to us!)
- Being an author is an ego roller coaster, you go from imagining how much money you're going to make and what you're going to do with it, to feeling like giving up.
- Aprillyne told us, "I learned what every author knows -- writing is hard!"
- She also told us how much she LIKES querying...really! She said it is like gambling or playing the lotto. Send out 10, maybe get 1 response. Next time send out 10 and get 3 positive responses. 30% return! Woot!
- Editing like crazy BEFORE you send your stuff out is a lot smarter route than sending out your stuff fresh from your brain.
- Lots of authors work and work and work, and get to the point where there really is nothing left they can do, so they give up on said WIP or give up all together, and THEN they get the call. It's the dark before the dawn idea.
- There will be lots of kissing in book 3 - she called it the "kissing book"
- Book 3 in the series comes out next May, sigh a whole year.
- The cover and title for Book 3 will be revealed in November.
- The title for SPELLS was originally WINTER SPELLS but they took the seasons out of all the titles, so they just kept SPELLS. Of all the titles, she said SPELLS fits the least. Aprilynne called it the found peg shoved into the square hole.
It was such a fun night!
Afterwards I was able to go out to dinner with some other amazing author friends and chat books and writing. I am such a groupie! Someday I hope to be one of them, until them I am so pleased that they let me in their little groups, even if just for a little bit!
Here is Natalie Whipple, Sara B. Larson and Jenn Johansson, check out all their blogs, they are amazing women!