Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review: TWILIGHT THE GRAPHIC NOVEL VOLUME 1

Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1 Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1
by Stephenie Meyer
Published March 16th 2010 by Hachette
Hardcover, 224 pages

Placement in the Pile: Middle of the Stack

Summary:
When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret... Beautifully rendered, this first installment of Twilight: The Graphic Novel is a must-have for any collector’s library.

Review:
This was my first graphic novel ever. I honestly was never really interested in them. I don't have issues with kids reading them, because I know they can be a good transition for reluctant readers, and help kids learn to visualize scenes. And it takes a lot of imagination to know what is going on in one of these if you haven't read the more detailed book.

That being said, because I enjoy the story of TWILIGHT, I thought I would give it a try.

The pictures were actually really beautiful. It was nice to get away from the images of the actors from the movies again. (Although I don't think Emmet was big enough in this graphic version). I like that it stuck closer to the book in a lot of ways.

My biggest issue? I found myself skimming pretty quickly since I had already read the novel. I didn't take my time to figure it all out since I knew what was going on, and in the end I don't think I appreciated the experience of reading a graphic novel that is purely a graphic novel.

Also, it kind of bothered me that the book ends at the meadow. It was kind of a disappointment to build up to that moment and not go on. Much the way people felt about the whole MIDNIGHT SUN manuscript.

All in all it was enjoyable, and if graphic novels are something you enjoy, give it a try!

1 comments:

Guinevere said...

Hmmm... I'd still be interested in reading this, especially going into it knowing it ends early. I'd love to see the pictures and get away from the images from the movie. :-)