Friday, May 21, 2010

Review for JEKEL LOVES HYDE by Beth Fantaskey



JEKEL LOVES HYDE

by Beth Fantaskey

Details: published May 3rd 2010 by Harcourt Children's Books

Hardcover, 288 pages

Placement in Pile:

Hmm... Reaching new heights

Summary:

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship. To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.

Review:

The summary of this book was somewhat misleading, so I went into this book expecting it to be a little different than it was. I figured it would be darker than anticipated after reading JESSICA'S GUIDE TO THE DARK SIDE (which was much darker than I thought it would be, but I loved it!); however, this one was much, MUCH darker than I even prepared myself for it to be. I don't want to be spoilery, but let's just say the main character's last names are much more important than you'd think from the summary, and the plotline is very intense and dark. Anyone remember that song from Jekyll and Hyde the musical? "Murder! Murder!" Just be warned. ;-)

I couldn't put it down, and recommend it for older readers who aren't disturbed by mature themes including death, murder, sex (nothing too explicit), and the dark side of humanity. For such a light, fun last name, Beth Fantaskey sure does write some intense books! Read it and let me know what you think of it!

3 comments:

Heather Dixon said...

Sounds kinda interesting!

Although I can't think of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde anymore without getting this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiB4dMwDFtg stuck in my head.

Aubrey said...

Heather that was hilliarious, and kind of disturbing for a kids show....

Jeckyl and Hyde has always been a story I enjoy actually. Call me crazy. Jeckyl and Hyde is one of my favorite musicals (but I tend to like "In His Eyes" rather than "Murder, Murder") ;)

I have been wanting to pick up Beth Fantaskey (which has to be a pen name! Anyone know for sure?) for a while. I may have to make room for her for this one!

Carrie said...

I just picked this up from the library. Now I am even more excited to read it.