Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review THE GOLDEN SPIRAL by Lisa Mangum

THE GOLDEN SPIRAL
by Lisa Mangum
Published May 10th 2010 by Shadow Mountain
Hardcover, 365 pages

Placement in the Pile: Reaching New Heights

Summary:
His eyes. His touch. His kiss. Dante was unlike anyone Abby had ever met. Now he’s gone, and Abby will do anything to get him back…

The hourglass door has closed behind Dante, sending him back in time to hunt down Zo, Tony, and V. Abby knows that Dante, as a Master of Time, is the only one who can stop them from destroying time itself. She also knows that he will need her help. But almost immediately, things start to change and Abby’s worst fears are realized when Zo begins targeting her past specifically.

The bank is eroding, the barriers are thinning. And time is running out.

Review:
After the first book in this series, THE HOURGLASS DOOR, there were so many questions left out there. And I loved Dante and Abby's love story so much that I was aching for more.

The prologue was a bit confusing as it was in a completely different character's perspective than the first book, or the rest of this book for that matter. In the end I was able to appreciate it, but it was a hard way for me to get back into the story.

In the end I found this book much faster paced, in a good way. The action was constant, the mystery was constant and there were gripping moments that made me want more. The plot went in directions that I didn't expect at all, and that is a good thing! At the same time it still made sense in her world building, in fact I think it made some of the world building that wasn't so completely believable in the first book, make more sense.

My biggest complaint was for a good portion of the book Dante was trapped somewhere, so Abby was dealing with things mostly on her own. It took away the romance factor for much of the book. And that was something I loved about the first.

All in all this was a sequel that I almost liked more than the first. It is a series definitely worth reading and I can't wait for the next one!

2 comments:

Anita said...

I'm curious...
How many books do you read in a month? What part of the day and how much time?

The questions are for your contributing team, too.

Are you all young, and without kids! :)

Aubrey said...

Anita, good question. I think some of this can be answered in our Bios, but here are some specifics.

We are all young moms actually. I have one child, Guinevere has 2 and Erin Writes has 5 (I think?)!

We are busy people with busy lives. I am not the the fastest reader either, I usually read about one book a week. Two if I'm lucky.

Erin Writes could read tons. The last she told me she is reading 4-6 books a week, so you are really just getting snippets of her reading on here. She is a crazy busy woman, and just doesn't have time to blog a lot!

Guinevere it also depends. I have known her to read 5 books in a week, and I have known her to read 1-2, it just depends on how busy she is with her boys and work.

Hope that helps. ;)